Initially founded in 1912 as a supplier to the then-emerging automotive industry, Turner & Co. has evolved through steady organic growth as well as acquisition.
Today, Turner & Co is a privately controlled group of autonomous companies, engaged in the supply & servicing of equipment, asset rental and the provision of comprehensive support services. Currently, the group enjoys a turnover in excess of £160m, a reputation for profit retention and a solid financial base from which to operate.
The individual companies span a remarkably diverse range of sectors but the first-class service to customers is the principal objective of every single activity.
Employing around 1,100 loyal and dedicated professionals, mostly outside of our native Scotland, our customer-focused companies are driven by a passion for taking ownership of customer challenges, providing solutions of the highest standard that are then implemented and delivered to agreed timescales.
“Our 'Vision and Values' tell our Customers a lot about who we are”
At the age of 24, Alexander Gordon Turner (Alex) & Leonard (Lennie) Pardoe, both time served Electrical Engineers, founded a Partnership, Turner & Co. they specialise in auto electrical repairs from their first facility in Broad Street, Bridgeton in Glasgow.
After years of steady growth, the 1930’s marks a turning point – the start of “Turner Refrigeration”.
Turner & Co operates agencies for a wide range of manufacturers and expands the business with a number of acquisitions.
The business moves to purpose-built premises in Brown St., Glasgow
During the war years much of the business activity was given over to support the war effort.
Turner & Co (Glasgow) Ltd. Is incorporated.
Second generation, Alexander Gordon (Gordon) Turner, starts with the company aged 21.
Turner begins its involvement in Diesel Engineering.
Turner Aviation is incorporated
Oil was discovered in the North Sea and a small auto electrical/diesel operation was opened in Aberdeen adding to the already established Glasgow diesel activity and incorporated as Turner Diesel Ltd., in 1975.
Business relocated from Brown St. to Craigton Road in 1979.
Third generation, founder’s elder grandson, Gordon Turner, starts work with Turner Diesel.
The Turner logo as we know it today was introduced for the first time.
Turner & Co acquired Mitchell Diesel.
Turner Access started trading.
Turner Hire Drive started trading.
Alan Turner, younger of the founder’s two grandsons started work with Turner Aviation.
Gordon Turner Snr. Retired from the company.
Turner Facilities Management was established, providing services to the MOD.
Turner Groundscare is started as an official John Deere dealer in Chester.
T.G. Power is established.
Turner & Co acquired Stamford Van & Car Hire.
AMEC Turner (JV) set up to deliver Regional Prime Contract (Scotland) for MOD.
Turner Engine Controls B.V. starts trading in Hoofddorp, The Netherlands.
Turner Estate Solutions is formed.
Powerplant (Stamford), TCL Tankers and Exsel Pumps are acquired by Turner & Co.
Blue Cube PCS commenced trading.
Turner Diesel, Tilsley & Lovatt and FlameTec merge to become Turner EPS.
Kier Turner and Turner Henry, joint venture companies, are established.
Turner & Co commemorated its centenary year in 2012.
Turner & Co acquired Iceni Marine Services.
Turner & Co purchased Optimum Technical Services in 2014.
Turner & Co purchased EcoLiving in 2016.